Tuesday, September 27, 2016

R.I.P. Herschell Gordon Lewis



We lost a great mind yesterday and the world is a sorrier place without him. He was the director and writer of Blood Feast and its novelization, and with Lucio Fulci he had the title of the "Godfather of Gore." In honor of his influence on trash horror I will get around to reviewing some of his movies come December. The reason for that is that October is going to be Spookyween, a month-long event where I review some of my absolute top-tier horror films across four decades: unfortunately, my schedule will not allow me to ditch my presently-planned '60s review for Lewis' film Two Thousand Maniacs, but that would be first on the schedule for December reviews. November, meanwhile, will be Bookvember, where I take on four particular excellent books. Rest assured, the Two Thousand Maniacs novelization will be something I talk about, perhaps then but perhaps also in December.

I am shit at tributes, but I encourage you to track down some of this man's movies. They speak for him better than I ever could. Trash as we know it wouldn't have been around today were it not for Herschell Gordon Lewis. Rest in peace, H.G. And thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment